2011/11/17

A quiet week

It has been a busy week, mostly work, but not too much of note has been going on.  Mostly trying to get all of my ducks in a row before leaving for a week for West Yellowstone.  Here are a few odds and ends.


  • Minecraft: Detrepid is working on a nuclear reactor (rebuilding after the first one blew up under our cabin) and I have been making a large structure in the Nether.  I have it all laid out in cobble, but the plan is to have the entire structure be reinforced glass eventually.  Also had a working oil harvesting/refining platform going offshore for a while.  Something about this sat well with the chemical engineer in me.
  • World Cup:  I might be doing a bit of FIS Nordic world cup analysis this year, just for funsies.  I'll start by posting my Skitrax fantasy world cup team.
Team: Siggy's Speedsters
Female Skier #1; Marit Bjoergen (Nor) 
Female Skier #2; Justyna Kowalczyk (Pol) 
Female Skier #3; Therese Johaug (Nor) 
Female Skier #4; Kikkan Randall (Usa) 
Female Outlaw Skier; Vibeke Skofterud (Nor) 
Male Skier #1; Dario Cologna (Sui) 
Male Skier #2; Petter Northug (Nor) 
Male Skier #3; Emil Joensson (Swe) 
Male Skier #4; Alex Harvey (Can) 
Male Outlaw Skier; Jesper Modin (Swe)

  • The winning technique is to get the skiers that have the best chance to hold one of the leaders bibs (sprint, distance, or overall) since they accumulate points every week.  It is also better to get occasional great results compared to consistent good results.  This is the reason Charlotte Kalla, Lukas Bauer, and other very good athletes are left off the list.  I see Marit and Justyna as no brainers, Therese and Kikkan are both solid options to lead the distance and sprint standings respectively if one of the top two doesn't, and the outlaw skier is usually a bit of a crap shoot (except last year where Therese and Ola V were pretty easy picks).  Racing starts this weekend in Sjusjoen, Nor.  Hopefully I'll still be able to find Eurosport coverage to watch all of the races this year.
  • I won't be posting next week because I'll be in West Yellowstone skiing, but will post about the week when I get back.  Snow conditions sound great, so I'm looking forward to being mostly cut off from internet and such for a week with nothing better to do than ski all the time and hang out with family and friends.

      



No comments:

Post a Comment