2012/02/07

City of Lakes Loopet

With the snow and temps being what they have been this winter few people expected that CoLL would run on it's full course this year, but when the melting snow flooded onto the lakes the week before the race the plan to finish in uptown was given up on, and the entire event was moved to the snowmaking loop at Theodore Wirth.  Since I won the Hoigaard's challenge last year I got to don a leaders bib and line up in the second row for the start.  This is the closest to the front I would get however.  My poor condition technique is below average to start with, and the lack of on snow training has not helped this year.  I settled in and skiied with some very fast Russians... who had 1 arm.  There was unprecedented attendance by foreign skiers due to the IPC races earlier in the week. I ended up 39th overall, so not a complete disaster, but for sure not what I would consider a good race.  If Matt or Brian decide to do the entire Hoigaard's challenge I'm sure I won't be holding on to the leaders bib next year.  Despite the conditions it was a fun day, and it was good to catch up to many ski friends I've seen too little of this winter.

Meanwhile in Russia Devon Kershaw takes his first individual victory after a couple straight 3rd place finishes, and by the end of the weekend had moved into 3rd in the overall world cup standings.  I really am wishing I had chosen him over Harvey for my team this year now.  Jessica Diggins continues to impress with a trip to the sprint finals on Thursday after posting the fastest qualifier and leading for the majority of her quarter and semi heats (probably not the best move tactically, but it always worked in those Nor-Am races.)  Then she took down a number of very good racers in the 10k mass start and was the first non-Scandinavian finisher in 5th.  She followed that up with a 12th in the Skiathlon the next day after taking a fall near the start of the race that put her at the back of the pack.  Not quite the amazing comeback that Frode Estil pulled off in 2006 Olympics, but impressive nonetheless for the 20 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment