2014/05/19

Running Camp

So things have been a bit quiet on the blogging front lately. I'm working on a post about Biking that is turning out to be rather large, so Nichole wisely suggested that I split it into multiple posts to make it easier to digest. I will work on that, but for now on to more exciting things. I have been running lately, a lot actually.

I had three 50 mile weeks in April, and the last week of April was 85 miles. That was the most I had ever run in a week, and my legs were well aware of that fact. They hurt constantly from Sunday afternoon (Maple Syrup run plus 13 more miles in the afternoon) through the whole week. Tuesday was 8x5 minute tempo with 45 seconds rest, and Nate and I got out in driving wind and rain to get this workout done. We were both toast afterwards, but the weather was so bad all week that biking wasn't really an option, so I just kept running. I have been cautious of high miles because of past injuries that have left their mark on my body, but have thus far remained injury free. The next week was 70 miles, and this week that just finished I crossed the 100 mile barrier!
Not injured yet, and I always eat anything I want.

The reason last weeks mileage was so high is because of two fun events. The first happened while I was home in Amery last Saturday for my parents play. I got a text from my good friend and teammate since high-school Erik Teig. This guy is a huge inspiration for me. He is a great runner and has really worked hard to find his potential in running, nearly making it to the marathon Olympic trials. He is the runner I use as a mental image when I am trying to run fast and smooth. He happened to be back in WI for the weekend and suggested that I should drive up to Amery and go for a run. Since I was already in Amery it was a very easy decision to say yes. We put in 14 miles and had a good time catching up on life and everything.
Erik and I at Ragnar a couple years ago, this guy is FAST!

This was a good way to start the week out. Tuesday morning Nate and I ran 6+ miles at half marathon pace and I ran again with some co-workers at lunch for a total of 16 miles for the day. Then on Friday the mileage really picked up. Thursday evening Nate, Nichole, and I headed up to northern Wisconsin for the first ever TNC Endurance training camp. A dozen fun runners spanning a large range of age, ability, and geography, all got together to run a few workouts, talk shop, and generally have a good time. Nichole put in a lot of work planning and recruiting for this event, and it was great! Over the course of the 3 day camp I put in 48 miles, including a long, tough tempo workout Saturday that I am rather proud of.
A tough but rewarding workout, 20 miles with 50 min of tempo along the way.

The running part of the camp was fun, but best part by far was the camaraderie. There were meals cooked, bonfires lit, frisbee's thrown, and games played. I got to meet a lot of new runners I'll be keeping an eye out for at Grandma's next month. There was a strength contest where I had a pretty epic 15 minute wall sit showdown with a gal named Slaine and got creamed by Nate at pullups (again, although I did manage 17, my personal best).
An epic wall sitting showdown. It was exciting, really.

Jeff and I slept out under the stars (couldn't convince any other hearty souls to join us on that adventure). There was a lot of frisbee throwing, an activity I have sorely missed. Sharon made the trip up from Indiana for the weekend, and brought her friend Matt who's knowledge of geek culture and random internet meanderings overlapped Jeff's and mine to an almost eerie degree.

I feel much better after this 100 mile week then I did after running 85. I'm still planning on taking the next few days a bit easier though to really let that training sink in. I'm debating running the Stillwater Half Marathon next weekend because I haven't ran a race since March. It would be a good test of my fitness and a good way to defray some of the tension that is slowly building with Grandma's creeping ever closer. It is also the same day as my friend Dave's wedding however, so timing could be pretty close. I don't know what it is with people planning their weddings on race days this spring, although in Dave's defense his wedding was planned long before I had this race on my radar.

Have a great week dear reader, 5 weeks to Grandma's marathon, and summer is on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment