2015/03/23

Snow Day

Whew, I'm sure feeling the jump back into running. With two big mileage weeks under the belt energy levels are a bit low at the moment. I'm planning to scale back the miles a bit this week and hopefully my two tempo workouts will be high quality. Only 4 weeks until Boston, so a couple more weeks of careful energy management until I start to taper. I remember hitting a similar slump with about 4 weeks to go before Grandma's, and that worked out alright, so here's to hoping.

In much more exiting news there was snow predicted for Northfield last Sunday and I woke up to find not just the dusting I expected but well over an inch of snow, with heavy snow still falling. I was going up to the cities to watch some friends run an 8k, so I dressed appropriate for a 30 degree ski race, met Nate and Nichole, and we headed North. Nate and I were the cheer squad, and we were debating how to handle pushing the stroller around in all the snow, but when we got up towards the metro there was no snow to be found. I ran around a bit cheering for the race, then Jeff and I got a nice cooldown run in and stopped to visit Elspeth, since the race was on Summit avenue close to her house. We then took a short adventure run down to the river before heading back. When I uploaded the GPS data later that evening I got a very juvenile chuckle out of the result.

Not my best attempt at Strava Art
Jeff had a great race, just breaking 29:00 for 8k. It was fun to run around and cheer, but even doing that I could tell that my legs were carrying around a lot of fatigue, so I was glad to not be racing.

When we got back to Northfield the snow was melting off the roads faster than it was falling, but it was still accumulating slowly in the grass. A couple hours later though it was really coming down hard, over 6" in a couple hours, so Nate and I threw on some rock skis and went out street skiing. It was fun to see the town covered in white, a break from the brown of spring. This morning there was over a foot of snow on my picnic table, so I'm sure there will be a few days of skiing for the adventurous down here in Northfield before it melts off again.

Lots of snow, time to ski!

Nate and I getting cruising through the neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment