2011/07/28

I may not be cool, but at least my food is

A couple of weeks of down time after a long racing season have been a welcome change, and a chance to get a few things taken care of on the home front and get a bit of adventuring in.  I went with my brother down to a family reunion near Waldorf this last weekend and got to try my new $15 tent out for the first time.  Cary and I teamed up for the lawn golf and "win it in a minute" challenges and won both.  The golf games were very close, as we changed what implements we used each time.  Over the course of the weekend I used a Frisbee, a lawn dart (both the new weighted and old sharp variety) an actual golf club and ball, a horseshoe, an apple, and a block of wood.  The block of wood won us our very close victory game, it went into 3 extra holes to break the tie at the end of the regulation round.  Cary dominated most of the minute challenges, but I pulled out ahead in blowing a ping pong ball into a horseshoe and stacking erasers and dice on a Popsicle stick I was holding in my mouth.
I don't do a lot in the way of home maintenance, but I do what I need to.  My basement is finally finished, and is actually looking pretty good.  A nice thorough cleaning and things should be in ship shape down there. 
I am also working on fixing my refrigerator.  I had to de-ice it this spring and then a few weeks ago it started not keeping food cold.  I did some sleuth work and found out that the evaporator fan was bad, so the cold air was there but was not being circulated.  I replaced that, but still suspect that my defrost timing switch is bad, since I never notice the fridge going into defrost mode on it's own, and that was stated as one reason that an evaporator fan might fail, if it gets plugged up with frost.  The new fan is working great, and I can at least manually switch the defrost on and off, so I'm going to watch it a few days and replace the switch if needed.
A bad storm this last weekend knocked a lot of branches down, so that was a good catalyst to get some lawn work done as well.  I cleaned up all the dead fall and pruned a bunch of my trees and bushes back, so I had a good sized load to bring to the compost this week.  It is always fun packing the Focus full of branches and ratchet strapping the big ones on top, then cruising right through downtown with the whole ensemble to get to the compost site.  I also got my strawberry garden weeded out, a huge project, but it looks pretty good now, except the fruit season is long done already.
Got my first real rollerski workout in last weekend too, 15km in 1 hr, a pretty sedate pace, but it felt good to start getting the ski legs back under me.  I've had a couple really fast near TT bike sessions the last couple weeks on the lunch rides.  I would attack right after the intermediate sprint and open up a gap that I would try to hold as long as possible.  Add that to a 10 mile run on Tuesday, and even though I haven't been doing many extra workouts I feel like I'm getting some solid training in.  Racing starts back up for another block in a couple weeks, so I need to hone the fitness back in a bit before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment