2011/08/15

Too much racing?

A couple more races to put in the books this last weekend.  Saturday was a wet day for the first ever Battle Creek 1/2 marathon.  The field was pretty small, about 30 runners, and the course was 3 laps of the hilly battle creek ski trails.  I started out fast and created an early gap, but at the end of the first 7k lap I was caught by Eric Solberg.  As the rain of the morning went from a light drizzle to a steady rain I was extra glad I had decided to skip the shirt, even though I was a bit chilly at least I wasn't putting on water weight.  I held with Erik for about half of the second lap until he pulled away from me on a steeper downhill.  I kept losing ground on him after that, and my 3rd lap I kind of cashed it in, content to hold on to my second place.  Jeff came in only about a minute or so behind me, closer than I would like, but he has been training far more consistently than I have, so a good result for him.  I hardly felt like I was breathing hard, but my legs were unresponsive, so I think I need to start ramping up the hill work and a few longer runs to beat the legs back into shape before trail loppet in a few weeks, or that could be an ugly race.
After the racing I was a vegetable for the rest of the day.  I wandered around a book store for a while, then watched three movies in a row, making the most of one of my free movie tickets I clipped from some cereal boxes.  I saw the final Harry Potter movie, a romanic comedy called Friends with Benefits or something like that, and Cowboys vs. Aliens.  It was a nice recovery to just sit and stare at a screen for a bit.
Then Sunday I tried my first real triathlon.  Less than 1/4 mile swim, so I figured I could work my way through that and then see what happened after.  The swim was even worse than I anticipated, I need lessons for sure if I am going to get serious about this, since I came out of the water in dead last.  I have my transitions down fairly well by this point though, and the bike and run went well so I ended up winning overall, so not too bad for my first go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment