2011/09/20

Urban Warfare Eastern Front

Saturday was the EMVC's Urban Warfare Eastern Front ride.  We started in Mendota and got in some really good climbing and explored some great trails along the mighty Mississip'.  We found several closed roads to traverse, traffic to weave through, and one ways to take backwards to give the ride a bit of that warfare feel.
There were some great climbs including Davern Street where I managed to pull a foot out of the pedals, Highwood avenue, Grand Avenue over in South St Paul, and of course Ohio Street.  Jeff and Galen both climbed well, but I managed to wear them down over the course of the ride and made a big break on Ohio street.
We also got to try out a wide variety of different surfaces.  Everything from your standard pavement to wooden walkways, real cobblestones, brick, cement, grass, dirt, and gravel.  About the only thing we missed out on was a metal bridge or something.
Jeff edged me out on sprint points.  I got both of the Newport sprints, but he took a county sign to even the score, then got the double sign at Mendota Heights and the Mendota sign at the finish by a couple inches.
I broke another spoke on the Shogun, so I decided it is probably time to finally replace the back wheel.  I've also been looking at carbon forks, but that project may need to wait a year so I can build up some savings.


No comments:

Post a Comment