2011/10/20

Heads up 7 up

Yikes, another week has snuck by with almost no blog post, so being a fan of the better late than never mentality, here is a quick rundown.  Last week was pretty crazy, and this week did not disappoint either.  The end of last week slid by somewhat quietly I would assume, since not much of it sticks out in my mind.  It might be that I've just kind of been in a sick/tired coma that is inhibiting the formation of new memories also.

The weekend was not very eventful.  I made some decent progress on my canoe, but now I fear the weather will turn before I get it in the water.  The first gunwale is about 40% installed, but there are some stress lines appearing that I want to work out before I put in any more rivets.  I also got about 1/2 of my yard raked, and can at least see my driveway and front walk again.  I also got dishes and vacuuming done finally, both long overdue projects.

I got a half decent rollerski in Saturday, but wasn't feeling great, so I cut off early of my full weekend route.  I haven't really gotten to work out since, so I'm now starting to get a bit worried about my conditioning, and I'm having trouble shaking this cough so I don't feel motivated to hop right back in to a workout routine just yet either.

Monday I decided to make the switch to Windows 7 and it has been pretty disasteriffic so far.  First I have an upgrade version of W7, so I had to re-install XP with a valid key to start out.  This didn't go bad, just took a while, but then the next step is where trouble started.  Windows 7 refused to boot off the HDD installed it on midway through the installation process, and after several times formatting the HDD and reinstalling XP and 7 I decided it was a master boot record (MBR) issue.  I could boot to a bootable cd and then start my HDD with windows on it fine, but could not boot directly to that HDD.  I finally decided to let that issue be for a while and  just get Windows running the way I wanted, only to find that my key was supposedly not valid.  Additionally the text file where I had all my keys stored was on a HDD that windows recognized but would not connect to.  I finally found drive settings and assigned a drive letter to the drive so I could access it.  After several checks to make sure I didn't have a typo, reinstalles to make sure there wasn't a software problem or some other oddity that was due to it being an upgrade copy I just gave up and cracked the activation.  I now have an activated "genuine" copy of Windows, though not with the valid key that I have for it, and I'm sure not without my fare share of problems in the future.

In addition to the stress of not having a working PC (which is hard to troubleshoot when you can't look up solutions on the internet because your computer doesn't work) things at work have still not been peachy.  We had another major maintenance project on the copper plater and the adjustment to work with 3/4 of our normal staff in my group.  We are running some new cell phone antennas here that have all kinds of issues at gold plate, we have ongoing staining issues on our silver plating, and trouble with some of our new lab equipment.  I also have a couple minor projects that I've neglected too long that I'm getting pressure to get done.  Then yesterday the machine that I have just been put in charge of decided it wanted to start chewing up material, so I have to dig around and try to figure out how to fix it without hardly knowing how it works, or where the spare parts for it are located, or how it typically runs when it isn't broken, so fun times there.

On the plus side my friend Allie sent me an email from her new @cityoflakesloppet.com email address, so that brightened my day.  I'm excited that she got a great job helping make nordic skiing in the twin cites better, and that I now have an in at the city of lakes loppet foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment